April 29, 2014

A Time to Dance

My son loves the show "Dancing With The Stars."  Every night he asks "Dancing on tonight mom?"  [He has done this since he was 18 months old, except back then it was "choo choo stars." (not sure how he got that but I always knew what he meant!)]  If it isn't Monday night, I have to tell him that it's not on and then let him know when it will be on.    He is usually bummed that it's not on but then goes on his merry way until the next day, when the cycle begins again.

Now, when it is Monday night, and we are watching the show, I get in a lot of exercise!  Every time a couple starts to dance, he looks at me and says "Time to dance. mom."  He then makes me get up off the couch and we dance and wiggle and laugh until the couple is done.  Then we sit down to rest.  This happens with every dancer until his bed time.  There are nights when I tell him "Mommy can't dance right now; I need to rest."  I find excuses to be lazy.

How often do we do this in our "real" life?  How often do we make excuses to not enjoy life?  To not dance.  This got me thinking of a Hilary Weeks song that is on a CD I got for Christmas.  It is called "Dancing in the Rain." 

Life can be hard.  We are all going through something hard.  In Ecclesiasties we read To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:....A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; (Ecclesiasties 3:1, 4)  I am really good at the mourning part.  I tend to dwell on my problems.  It is SO easy to get down and discouraged by the circumstances we find ourselves in.  A lot of us like to "live" in that place.  Okay, so maybe like is too strong of a word here, but we still live there.  When we are living in that place, we forget how to enjoy life.  Even when life is hard and you don't see the rainbow, you can't see the light on the horizon, we each need to take time to enjoy the moment.  We need to take time to dance.  There are a lot of things that are hard in my life.  But they are A LOT harder if I don't take the time to count my blessings; to enjoy the little things in life. 

Take a moment to breathe. Get up off the couch and dance.  There is always something beautiful and wonderful going on that you can celebrate.  The time to dance is now.  As the song beautifully put it: Let your dreams know you haven't forgotten them.

No comments:

Post a Comment